Monday, September 13, 2010

Oregon! ...FOR REAL YOU GUIZ.

So, yesterday I went to the fair again! I had bad Chinese food and an even worse hotdog.

By the way, quarter-pound hotdogs are nowhere near as big as you may think. Here is my disappointedfaec;
"The shit is this fuck?"

I also got to bite into Layli's caramel apple! :3 Here's my HOLYCRAP, DELISHUS face.
"IF THERE WAS A WAY TO PERMANENTLY FUSE THIS TO MY FACE I WOULD NOT HESITATE A HEARTBEAT"

So that's basically all I did at the fair. We'd seen it all, it was no longer interesting. I did not get to sample a Funnel Cake though :(

So, I basically went home and slept.
Then in the morning, (this morning, oh morning dear morning ahoooyyyyy) we packed up the car and drove to Oregon! OREGON FINALLY YES OREGON. I also took a photo or two on the drive, just because Washington looks so much like the area around my home near Toowoomba in Queensland. Picture in a later edit, because the Internet and Blogger are both being crap.
Edit: Here we go.  
East Washington; like Eastern Queensland, but brown.

So apparently here in the little-ish town of Pendleton it's the tenth anniversary of Roundup, a huuuuuuuge rodeo-fair thing that also coincides with a sort of pow-wow thing for the Native Americans all through the area, including the Umatilla, the local tribe, that Layli's dad works for. It's technically three tribes smooshed together on one reservation, but yeah. They set up tipis on the rodeo-grounds, but nobody's camping there yet, so it was all...kinda surreal and creepy. I've never seen a tipi before in real life, and they're much bigger than I imagined for some reason, and they were all in rows and completely abandoned.
Not pictured; Children of the Maize.

While we were in town, we wandered around, went to Walmart (where I got a new camera which is the opposite of the camera I was using already, I.E it's actually good. It'll be a present for my mum when I get back, probably.) and also Baskin and Robins for icecream. It was amazing, as icecream tends to be. We were also extremely successful at not getting mugged, despite the fears my parents as I was leaving. I turned my back, yet Kermit the Frog did not bust out of a manhole and stab me in the spleen with a dirty heroin-needle. Hurrah!
Oh, and I have to mention, I've found a new favourite-thing. Pepperjack Cheese. It's Montery Jack (A cheddar-style cheese, fairly mild and smooth, quite nice) with TINY BITS OF JALAPENO IN IT IT'S SO AMAZING I CAN'T EVEN EXPRESS HOLY WOAHHHHHHHHH.

Oregon's a very pretty place. I took photos of the river here (again, later update, since it's being weird) and apparently you can come and see salmon-runs later in the year. This confuses me, as in Australia, salmon are far more inclined to go for a swim than a run.
Edit:
 It's...It;s a river. Can't really say more than that. I'm not funny enough to make rivers amusing.


It's also apparently redneck central. As I said, I'll edit this post for pictures at some point, but I've a picture of a big sign that says 'Get"r done.' Yes, with a " instead of a '. I assume they didn't have any for the sign.
Edit:


Tomorrow I go in search of some batteries that will last more than five minutes, and will try and get a photo of myself with the family I'm staying with. Because they're really, really awesome, and I kind of want them to adopt me so that I'll always have people to converse with in geek-speak and also so I never have to give up PepperJack.

I'll miss you, Pepper Jack ;w;

4 comments:

  1. A quarter of a pound is like, an eighth of a kilogram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the hundredth anniversary of the Pendleton Round-Up, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PepperJack sounds indeedly awesome. Unfortunately I can't handle hot things in my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy butts, you've never had pepper jack?!

    ReplyDelete